Skip to main content

Grocery Shopping

So I seem to have time to jabber today. Usually every 2 weeks I do grocery shopping because that's how our paydays fall.
Here's how I do it (on my good weeks!):

1. Take note pad and head down to deep freeze to take inventory. This past school year I started cooking all my dinners every 2 weeks. It's really worked out well for me. I usually have meals leftover and have some to share. It's been nice to take little gifts of banana bread or cinnamon rolls to friends who invite us over for lunch or a play date! Then with dinners that didn't get used I add them into my next plan to add more variety.

2. Make a list with 14 meals on it from previous meal plans and I try to add something new every 2 weeks.

3. Create my shopping list. I keep a pretty notepad by the phone were I usually have somethings started on a list. applesauce, lemon flavor, etc.

4. We are pretty much all whole foods at our house so coupons are not a huge part of my plan.My bi-weekly money is split into 3 or more areas: co-op, stores, off week sales and incidentals. I also have to keep in mind any presents, toiletries, etc. Anything leftover goes to savings or debt payoff. I do cvs but on a much smaller scale. Thank You CVS!

5. I'm an in season shopper meaning cheapest prices and not fancy! No pomegranates, pineapple, star fruit etc. Just the basics. Strawberries (now) , apples, bananas, cherries. Things that can be dehydrated, made into something else, etc. We do occasionally splurge!

6. So I try an hit everything I need on Thursday afternoon. The best time for me and 1 of my daughters. We have our list and we pray. We don't always get everything on the list, but it usually is filled in by something better. I do get what I need for my meals, but sometimes this changes and works out for the better.

7. Thursday evening is prep time and I usually get 3 of my 4 Sui' (?) chefs in the kitchen to chop and dice.

8. Friday morning I put it all together plus lead my youngers in school work.

9. Then at noon we head for raw milk! I'm excited because we are getting raw skim this week $4 a gallon that's cheaper than our grocery stores regular price! Hooray!

10. Friday night I do beans or whatever to get ready for slow cooking soup or blk. beans on Saturday.

11. Mondays and Wednesday I bake. Or make mixes so the girls can bake. I've lost over 50 lbs. and am struggling a bit with the sweets, so I would rather they do the baking! Daddy needs his W.W. chocolate chip cookies!

12. I've been trying to squeeze a dinner date for the 2 of us out of it. Sometimes we really need it. Our girls are really good about us "Dating" at home. (Usually we say everyone downstairs by 8pm. That's early if your a teen. But there are plenty of good books to read!) Sometimes we make a special meal together.

13. We also have been really utilizing our 4-H garden. We have 4 10 x 10 plots. Right now we have fresh spinach for salads and such, onions, radish, and lots of herbs! We just finished sugar snap peas and have a ton more growing. They usually don't make it home!

So that's were our bi-weekly grocery / household moo la goes. We have tons of deals on processed foods in our area, but we are not willing to go back to eating that way on a regular basis. We feel it keeps us out of the doctors office!

I'm gonna bake cinnamon scones, lemon poppy breakfast bread. I've 3 banana bd. and 4 pumpkin bd. in the freezer already!

I'm really trying to change from an "all or nothing mentality" so it doesn't always happen this way.Over the holidays I did very little cooking because our freezer was still overflowing! Praise the Lord for the break and the supply!

Have a wonderful night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much to say.

Good Morning All! We had a wonderfully busy, four day weekend here. We started out our time together visiting a reenactment of Civil War life. We had a chance to here the cannons blow and the muskets crack. A little unnerving when your aren't prepared for it. All the Dads in our group were entranced. We learned about Morse code and the telegraph service. How to dress for day, evening and what type of hoop skirt was used for different activities. Everyone enjoyed some sarsaparilla, fried peas, parched corn and fry bread. The chickadees has lots of new ideas for ball gowns and bonnets. ( I think we will have a busy summer.) These were war refugees getting dressed for the day. The hairstyles were so intricate! Did you know that they made specific chairs for men and women? The hoops that women wore couldn't fit into chairs with arms. These chairs were also sold in pairs because married couples were the ones most likely to need them. After leaving the Raid we then headed to Bocia

Nitrate Free Pepperoni

I'm not sure if I should show you the picture or not. I tweaked a recipe from Tammy's Recipes and it is quite tasty. BUT (and it's kind of a big BUT) the color is just not right. So the pepperoni looks a little grey (gross) but again taste SUPER! So here goes nothing.... nitrate free pepperoni See how gray it looks? That's because I used Real Salt (sea salt) instead of curring salts which have all the nitrates and fake pink color (they do this so people won't mistake it for table salt). That pink dye also gives sausages of all types that nice color we are all so used too. All the flavor was still in there and I figured if I'm making this homemade I want it to be as healthy as possible for my family. So why would I add the nitrates? Because I didn't use the pink salt I can't just leave this out in my pantry like you could with some of the store bought stuff. If you do to try this recipe and decide to go "all natural" please make sure that you

Nestor's Party- My Craft Room!

Well I wanted to get these up because Nestor is having a 10 minute to a beautiful room party . This has definitely taken more than 10 minutes. But in my brain it was only suppose to take a day! It's far from finished, but that's what a craft room is for. Right? Here's a couple of before pics during the Children's Christmas play. Basically every surface was covered and I had to move stuff just to work. Five of us craft, sew, scrapbook etc in this room. So space and good storage is an issue. The room is apx.10x11. I really want my daughter's to grow up being Keeper's of their Homes. Home Decorating and Crafting Frugally is a must! You can have a beautiful home on a very tight budget. I also want them to be creative and have a place to show and explore their abilities. ( alrighty let me jump down from my horse; ) Here's some after photos. The paint was from the $5 bin and too yellow. So I added alot of white that we had from another project! Th