Skip to main content

A Tasty Treat?

Don't these coconut raspberry tarts look Delicious?

Okay, I know I can't fool you! We made these Fires Starters the other night. We actually had everything on hand.... so it was free (ha ha). Oh sooo Frugal (it's frugal friday ya know)!

We used:
Gulf wax and old candles of varying scents
Lightered pine shaving from our big tree (that partially fell on our car a couple years back)
Garden twine
Muffin papers from the thrift store
Muffin tins (preferably old ones)

While Superman cut wood the girls and I set to work. We packed the shavings into the muffin papers and added the twine wick between the layers. Then I poured on the melted wax. I'm sure they'll be good enough for me to get a fire started! Superman doesn't need them...he's a Super Hero remember!

Here's one of our chicks loading logs.

And another stacking.


I know it's crazy for where we live, but we do get many nights in the low 40's to upper 30's and having a fireplace makes it oh so cozy. I can remember many a night where one of our we chicks would fall asleep on Superman while gazing at the fire. But right now it's still in the 90's and I keep thinking we're nuts! Are we turning into Urban Homesteaders?
Okay some other ideas for fire starters. I have many foil tins (small) in different shapes. It would be fun to make heart ones or even dip some pine cones in cinnamon wax and bundle them as a hostess gift.
Or better yet add a couple of logs to make a gift basket, with a bottle of whatever you like (non-alcoholic, fancy soda, wine, etc). Don't forget to add some popcorn, cookies, or chocolate! Give as a Christmas gift, house warming, hostess gift, or a Romantic date night (for friend with wee ones or anyone who needs a relaxation) . What a great surprise that would be!
Well I need to get back to it! My little chef is measuring the chair (ninety-eighty long) and now my brain (it's ninety, by the way) "Oh, so cerebral" chick #3 would say!
Checkout more great and thrifty ideas over a Biblical Womanhood tomorrow. I'm just a bit early this week!


Song in head: I'd like to check you for ticks.... (don't judge, I'm already doing that to myself!!! It just sticks in your head.....)

Comments

Funchaosx4 said…
Love the "fire starters, too cute"

The songs choice is cracking me up. I find myself humming that song too once I have heard it AND I don't really like that song AT ALL. It just sort of sticks in your head though!!!

Are you guys going to FPU Sat evening?
Funchaosx4 said…
It is called Soomebody Cares Tampa Bay Marketplace. On Range road between Hercules and Belcher. Not sure I know what BL stands for. Please, let me know about the co-op, definitely interested. Been a little skatty about being able to meet up with you at church, just crazy life right now! We will miss you Saturday evening. Have a fun time with birthday and date.

Popular posts from this blog

So Much to say.

Good Morning All! We had a wonderfully busy, four day weekend here. We started out our time together visiting a reenactment of Civil War life. We had a chance to here the cannons blow and the muskets crack. A little unnerving when your aren't prepared for it. All the Dads in our group were entranced. We learned about Morse code and the telegraph service. How to dress for day, evening and what type of hoop skirt was used for different activities. Everyone enjoyed some sarsaparilla, fried peas, parched corn and fry bread. The chickadees has lots of new ideas for ball gowns and bonnets. ( I think we will have a busy summer.) These were war refugees getting dressed for the day. The hairstyles were so intricate! Did you know that they made specific chairs for men and women? The hoops that women wore couldn't fit into chairs with arms. These chairs were also sold in pairs because married couples were the ones most likely to need them. After leaving the Raid we then headed to Bocia

Nitrate Free Pepperoni

I'm not sure if I should show you the picture or not. I tweaked a recipe from Tammy's Recipes and it is quite tasty. BUT (and it's kind of a big BUT) the color is just not right. So the pepperoni looks a little grey (gross) but again taste SUPER! So here goes nothing.... nitrate free pepperoni See how gray it looks? That's because I used Real Salt (sea salt) instead of curring salts which have all the nitrates and fake pink color (they do this so people won't mistake it for table salt). That pink dye also gives sausages of all types that nice color we are all so used too. All the flavor was still in there and I figured if I'm making this homemade I want it to be as healthy as possible for my family. So why would I add the nitrates? Because I didn't use the pink salt I can't just leave this out in my pantry like you could with some of the store bought stuff. If you do to try this recipe and decide to go "all natural" please make sure that you

Nestor's Party- My Craft Room!

Well I wanted to get these up because Nestor is having a 10 minute to a beautiful room party . This has definitely taken more than 10 minutes. But in my brain it was only suppose to take a day! It's far from finished, but that's what a craft room is for. Right? Here's a couple of before pics during the Children's Christmas play. Basically every surface was covered and I had to move stuff just to work. Five of us craft, sew, scrapbook etc in this room. So space and good storage is an issue. The room is apx.10x11. I really want my daughter's to grow up being Keeper's of their Homes. Home Decorating and Crafting Frugally is a must! You can have a beautiful home on a very tight budget. I also want them to be creative and have a place to show and explore their abilities. ( alrighty let me jump down from my horse; ) Here's some after photos. The paint was from the $5 bin and too yellow. So I added alot of white that we had from another project! Th